Spotify Case Study
Accessing The Data Resources
- Dataset can be found under
datasets.spotify_daily_rankings_2017_us for U.S. ranking
- Access the data at www.stratascratch.com
- You can use SQL on Strata Scratch to answer the questions or connect to the datasets and answer the questions using other tools like python
- You can now run Jupyter notebooks on Google CoLab so there’s no software installation needed. Use this introductory notebook as a template to start the analytics case.
The Spotify marketing team is starting an advertising campaign. Their goal is to maximize the number of daily streams across all regions in the world. The only dataset they have is their worldwide daily song rankings which is a list of songs ranked by the number of user streams and organized by regions. As the manager of the marketing team, how should the team focus their advertising resources and what should they do to maximize the number of daily streams?
A few things to think about to get you started:
- What percentage of total streams come from the top 10 artists?
- What percentage of total streams come from the top 10 tracknames?
- Which artists had the most streams in 2017? List the top 10 artists and the total number of streams on Spotify.
- Do artists have several tracks in the top 100? 200? List the artists by the number of track names in the top 200 in descending order (you’ll need to take into account the number of regions the artist is in).
- How do the number of streams in the top 10 differ than the number of streams in the top 50? top 100? top 200? Find the average number of streams in the top 10, 50, 100, 200.
- How many different artists are there in the top 100 vs top 101-200? Compare the number of artists in the top 100 vs the top 101-200.
A few open ended questions to guide your recommendations:
- Which artists should the marketing team invest in? Why? Support your answer with your analytical research.
- What are your recommendations to maximize the number of streams? Would you focus on certain artists or a certain position? Expand your thoughts with some recommendations.